Here is my finished product:
I said I wanted to see how it held up before I posted more about it and it is holding up well. I did modify some things with the design to make it easier to use and nicer looking. First I moved the L brackets to the inside of the tire so you only see the screw head.
|updated L bracket|
|inside view of the tire|
The next thing I did was to round the corners a bit more, just using a sander. This again was more of a visual thing instead of a safety concern.
|rounder corners and moved screws |
|eyeballing the rope handle placement|
|handles through the foam|
|close up of the handle!|
|close up of the bottom of the tire rocker.|
|finished view from above|
I used a newer tire with the metal bands, it took about 20 minutes to cut using a circular saw. To cut the tire, I placed it on the side, cut halfway through and then flipped it over cut it again.
The paint has held up, the only scrape in the paint, was caused by me moving the L brackets, I sprayed over the mark and you can't tell it was ever there.
Pumpkin has not fallen off at all, the tire rocks back and forth and moves slightly side to side. If you are worried about it tipping sideways, you could easily put a bar on the bottom where the tire meets the ground. It would help the tire from rocking side to side. When Mr. Barefoot tried it to see how it would work, my kiddos didn't like it and asked for it to be removed.
I love this toy and even think I am going to make this as Christmas gifts this year for some friends! You cannot beat the price and the fact that you are upcycling!