5 Tips for Traveling with Kids
Traveling with small children can be a hard experience. They have a short attention span, want to move, and get sick of sitting in the same seat for hours. So, how can you make a long car or plane trip a fun, enjoyable experience for your kids? Try these five tips:
1. Basket of snacks – healthy snacks and drinks can make a boring trip much more fun. Make sure not to load the kids up on sugar or juice. You don’t want them hyperactive or needing to stop for the potty every five miles. If your child has a wide selection, it makes it more fun. Save special treats just for trips. Make sure that the snacks you bring won’t melt or get squished.
2. Box of fun – Having a variety of toys, games, and books will help your child stay entertained throughout the trip. Make it easy on yourself by keeping them all together in one spot. The more organized you are, the easier the trip will be.
3. Laptop/iPad with holder – Technology is the easiest way to get and keep your kids’ attention. A cartoon will keep them quiet for an hour or two. Just make sure it is not too irritating for you to have to listen to!
4. Prizes – If you have more than one kid, then keeping them from arguing is essential. Make it easier by having prizes. Wrap small toys in gift wrap and award good behavior. This serves a dual purpose. It both keeps kids congenial and entertained with the toys.
5. Stop – If you can, take breaks and stretch your legs. Even a rest stop can be a great outlet. Play a game of tag or just go for a hike. Whatever you do, have the kids burn energy. It will make you all feel better.
Travel doesn’t have to be a pain in the neck. Use your brain and plan ahead. Your trip can be a fun time for you and your kids. Remember to relax and enjoy your time together.
Jenny Ellis is a freelance writer, and a regular contributor for aupair care. She welcomes your comments at: ellisjenny728 @ gmail.com.